Pages

Pageviews last month

Welcome to my blog

you for visiting my blog.

Monday, February 7, 2011

The Creation of Vases

Gardening has always been a passion of mine. I like to grow flowers, mostly perennials and ones that I can pick for flower arrangements. Collecting flower vases to put the flowers in was a natural thing to do. I even have a couple of my mothers vases.

When I started to make pottery, flower vases were one of the first things I made. They have evolved over the years. I started with extruding them in a mold.



I turned a few by mixing the clay resulting a marbled or striped vase.

My favorite vases that I have made are rectangle or square vases. I then cut out pieces of clay in peddles and leaves and placed them on the wet clay. Some times I paint the flowers other times I leave it neutral.





Carving a design into the top of a vase which I have turned on the potters wheel is another design.









My vases are becoming more diverse and complicated as I make them. Our local art club has an annual themed show. This year we were to pick a favorite artist and create something about them. I chose a painting from Grandma Moses. I formed a triangle vase then I either carved or in-laid clay on it from a painting of. This was the most detailed one I have done.












Most of these vase can be purchased on my etsy web page.

3 comments:

The Back Yard Bear said...

Joyce I really like the last vase you did! Very well done! Hope to see those at the Bohemian Cafe.

MYSAVIOR said...

The Lord has blessed you with a wonderful talent!

♥♥♥
Sue

Donna (Twinmountainpottery) said...

It's amazing how our pottery changes as time goes by. I love the way you carve a design on your vases or add clay to make a flower! Good post